Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Philadelphia Family Lawyer > Blog > Family Law > Four Issues You May Face Post-Divorce And How To Address Them

Four Issues You May Face Post-Divorce And How To Address Them


Once a judge issues a final divorce order, you may think everything is over. Unfortunately, you will still have a relationship with your ex after the divorce, particularly if you have children together. There are many issues you may face post-divorce, and a Delaware County family lawyer can help you through them. A lawyer can help you negotiate a resolution to the below disputes, or represent you in court if they require litigation.

Reducing Child Support or Alimony Due to Loss of Income

In Delaware County, any party that pays child support or alimony can petition the court to modify the order if they are able to show a change in circumstances that is permanent or unforeseeable. If the party can show that the order impairs their ability to support themselves, they can also petition for a change. In the case of alimony, a judge will consider how the paying party has spent their income. In child support cases, a judge will consider many factors concerning the child receiving support.


It is not uncommon for one parent to want to move after divorce. In these cases, the party that wishes to relocate must provide notice to the court 60 days before the move, or as soon as possible. The other party has 30 days to object or they lose their right to contest the move in court. If the other parent does object to the move, a judge will make a decision based on many factors that determine what is in the child’s best interest.

Change in Child Custody Orders

Sometimes, child custody orders are no longer practical and changes must be made. Again, the parent that wishes to change the child custody must petition the court and show a substantial change in circumstances. Just as when a parent wishes to relocate with a child, a judge will make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child.

Failing to Comply

Divorce orders issued by a judge are final and binding, as is any court-approved agreement drafted between the two parties. Still, that does not mean that the parties involved will always comply. Any time one person refuses to comply with a court order, the other party can file a motion for the court to enforce the order. Not only will a judge take enforcement measures, but they may also hold the non-compliant party in contempt of court, which will result in harsh penalties.

Our Family Lawyer in Delaware County Can Help You Address These Issues

Unfortunately, a final divorce order does not always mean you can put the entire ordeal behind you. At the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane, our Philadelphia family lawyer can help you address these issues and resolve them in a way that is fair and that protects your best interests. Call us today at 215-918-9453 or fill out our online form to schedule a consultation and to learn more about how we can help.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn