Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Lauren H. Kane Motto
  • When Quality and Experience Matter
  • ~
  • Get Trusted Legal Advice Today!

Montgomery County Uncontested Divorce Lawyer

Ending a marriage doesn’t have to be a long, drawn-out legal battle. If you and your soon-to-be-ex can agree on the divorce and all the related topics that need to be addressed, then you might be able to proceed with a Pennsylvania uncontested divorce. These topics include how to handle spousal support, dividing your marital assets and liabilities, and child custody and support if you have children. Even if you think you are headed toward an uncontested divorce, you can still benefit from having an experienced Montgomery County uncontested divorce lawyer on your side. Contact the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane to learn how we can help.

How Uncontested Divorce Works in Pennsylvania?

If you and your spouse can agree on all outstanding issues, you can proceed with an uncontested divorce or a divorce based on mutual consent. As previously mentioned, property division, child custody, child support, and alimony are the main topics.

Unlike other types of no-fault divorce, an uncontested divorce doesn’t require you to live separately for at least a year. However, you are required to be a Pennsylvania resident for at least six months and who that the marriage is irretrievably broken. You can settle all your issues outside of the court proceedings and won’t need to attend a hearing for your divorce either. You and your spouse will instead draft your own Property Settlement Agreement that you sign. The Property Settlement Agreement divides your marital assets and liability and provides details on spousal support. If you have children, you have the option of addressing custody and child support in your agreement or handling it later.

You and your spouse will negotiate the terms of the Property Settlement Agreement on your own, or you can opt for a more formal meeting, like a mediation. Attorney Lauren H. Kane has over 38 years of experience with Pennsylvania family law matters. We can help you finalize all the details and negotiate the terms of the agreement. That can help you from getting emotional and risk ruining the progress you’ve made.

How Long Does an Uncontested Divorce Last?

Once you file for divorce by mutual consider, you will need to finish the 90-day waiting period before the court will finalize it. The short window gives both spouses the time to think about whether they want to go through with the divorce or seek marriage counseling instead. The court will also use this time to go through all your forms and paperwork so the judge can review them before issuing the final decree. It could take as long as four months before your divorce is finalized.

If you are divorcing because the marriage is irretrievably broken, there is no waiting period if you have a one-year separation. It could still take at least a month before the court processes all the forms and issues a final decree.

Contact a Montgomery County Uncontested Divorce Lawyer

Uncontested divorces can be ideal, but you always need to ensure your rights are being protected. Don’t inadvertently waive your right to deserved spousal support by rushing through an uncontested divorce. Once the court issues the final decree, there is no going back to ask for support. To learn more about how to protect yourself during an uncontested divorce, contact the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane to schedule an initial consultation.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Fill out the quick form to the right to get in touch with the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane. We'll reach out to schedule a consultation where you can meet with attorney Lauren H. Kane and discuss your matter in person. Together, we'll explore the ways we can help you with your most pressing and important legal needs. We give you the information you need to make informed decisions about your case and work toward the best result. It all begins with your initial consultation, so get started today!

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation