Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Lauren H. Kane Motto
  • When Quality and Experience Matter
  • ~
  • Get Trusted Legal Advice Today!

Philadelphia Family Lawyer

Serving Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery & Philadelphia County

The Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane helps individuals and families throughout Philadelphia with a wide range of family law matters, including divorce, custody, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, adoptions, protection from abuse, name changes and dependency. Learn more below about how our Philadelphia family lawyer can help in these vital areas, and call 215-238-9539 to discuss your needs and concerns.

Divorce & Custody

With 38 years of legal experience, Philadelphia divorce lawyer Lauren H. Kane is skilled in all manner of divorce and custody matters, from uncontested divorces based on mutual consent to complex divorce cases involving high net worth couples or high levels of emotional conflict. We’ll make sure your rights are protected and that the final outcome reflects your needs in vital areas such as child custody, child support, spousal support and property division. Our family law attorney handles post-divorce issues as well, including modification and enforcement and custody relocations.


Any couple can benefit from a prenuptial agreement. With a prenup, both spouses enter a marriage with their eyes open about each other’s finances and debts, and they can be sure they are on the same page about how to handle property division or alimony in case of divorce. A prenup can also balance interests by requiring the making of a will or life insurance policy. The Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane can negotiate, draft or review a prenuptial agreement to make sure it protects you and meets your needs, and that it will be valid and enforceable in court. We also litigate challenges to prenups when there is disagreement over their validity or terms. If you didn’t create a prenuptial agreement before marriage, we can help you address the same issues at any point with a postnuptial agreement.


Growing a family through adoption can be an immeasurably positive change in your life, and it is surely one of the most satisfying parts of a family lawyer’s practice. Adoptions can be costly and time-consuming affairs as well, though, and failing to take proper care can result in the adoption failing or create legal battles down the road. Let our Philadelphia family law attorney advise and represent you for a smooth and successful adoption. We are available to handle private adoptions, agency adoptions, domestic and international adoptions, stepparent adoptions and more.

Protection from Abuse

Physical or sexual abuse is a crime, but you don’t have to wait for the police to act; you can take immediate steps to protect yourself and your children from abuse. The Pennsylvania Protection From Abuse Act allows you to apply for a protective order from the court. A temporary protection order can be put in place immediately without having to face the abuser in court. This order lasts for ten days, and a final order can be put in place for 36 months or longer following a formal hearing with the participation of the alleged abuser.

A PFA order can protect you from actual or attempted physical harm, threats of immediate and serious physical harm, rape or sexual assault, physical or sexual abuse of your children, stalking, and more. A protective order can force the abuser out of the house and keep the person from possessing any weapons. The order can also make rulings regarding child custody, visitation and support, among other things. Protection from Abuse orders are available to household members related to the abuser by blood or marriage or who share a child, as well as current or former dating partners.

The Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane represents family members seeking protection from abuse for themselves or their children. We also represent alleged abusers facing the loss of custody or other important family law rights if placed under a protection from abuse order.

Name Changes

A former spouse can take back her maiden name during or after a divorce by filing a written notice and following the procedures outlined in Pennsylvania name change law. A similar procedure allows a surviving spouse to resume her former name following the death of her spouse. For other name changes, the law requires a more formal proceeding, including filing a petition with the court and publishing notice to the public and a co-parent. The judge holds a hearing within one to three months of the petition, and anyone who objects to the name change may appear at the hearing and speak against it. We can help you identify the proper procedure and assist you in obtaining a name change for yourself and your children, if applicable.


If your child is adjudged to be dependent by the court, the child may be placed under the court’s supervision while the child continues to live with you, or the court may remove your child from your home and place your child in foster care or shelter care. Before this can happen, legal procedures must be followed, and you have the right to be represented by an attorney at every proceeding. The Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane will represent you at any shelter care hearing, permanency hearing or hearing to terminate parental rights. We’ll counsel you on your rights for visitation and how to achieve the reunification of your family. Don’t take any chances when your right to raise your children is at stake. Get help from an experienced family law professional who will look after your needs and fight for you.

Get the Help You Need with Family Law in Philadelphia

For help with divorce, adoption, or other family law matters, call the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane to discuss your needs with a caring, skilled and experienced Philadelphia family lawyer devoted to taking care of your and your family law legal needs.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Fill out the quick form to the right to get in touch with the Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane. We'll reach out to schedule a consultation where you can meet with attorney Lauren H. Kane and discuss your matter in person. Together, we'll explore the ways we can help you with your most pressing and important legal needs. We give you the information you need to make informed decisions about your case and work toward the best result. It all begins with your initial consultation, so get started today!

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation